I have been going through the long and painful process of having an home built by a small builder, 1st and main street builders. For anyone out there looking to have a home built, do not go with this builder. They lie, lie, and lie some more.

To start, our home was supposed to be done in August, then it would be done in October (without a doubt), then November, and now we are two weeks from Christmas and the house is still not done. What is more frustrating is that for the past four weeks they have had no more than 2-3 days worth of work remaining. Mostly paint touch up and putting a few more piece of siding on the front port.

They also lie about work that is not completed, saying that it is done. One instance, they forgot to put attic access in. We reminded this to the builder several times. We were told it was done, went to the house a few days later and saw it was not done. A few weeks later we were at the house and the sub-contractor was there to insulate the attic but there was no attic access. Lies like this have taken place for other things.

Another problem we had was with tile in our bathrooms. The builder's friend was used as the contractor, which we found out after he screwed up the work. He suggested a color tile, which we liked and decided to go with. He then installed the wrong color. We chose a neutral beige, he installed gold. He then tried to bribe us into keeping the gold tile and was upset when we wanted it changed.

They are incredibly hard to communicate with and you do not know if what they tell you is true or just what they think that you want to hear. They rarely answer the phone or return calls. There have been times where it takes two to three weeks to reach someone. They are also very unorganized when it comes to paperwork. We had things built into our purchase price and were later told that they would be additional charges as upgrades. Thankfully we had in writing that they were to be included in the purchase price otherwise we would have had to pay for them.

It is not just us, the home buyers, that have been lied to, they lie to the bank and appraisers as well. Two weeks ago we were told by a member of the builders staff, who was at the house at the time, that they would be finished in the next hour with the work. The appraiser from the bank went to the house the next day and saw right away the house was not done. Siding was missing from the porch, drywall was missing from a bay window, and more.

Overall, this builder is very slow, difficult and almost impossible to communicate with (although they will call you when they want money from you), and they are untrustworthy. I want others to be aware of this builder and stay far away from them. I plan on spreading the word so that others do not get put in the same situation the my family has been in almost the entire year of 2007.

Had an Experience with 1st and Main Street Builders?

Comments

jonathanwillfill

I will like you to contact me direct on my email. I have a business proposal to give to your company that will profit you greatly. I await to hear from you soon via my email address.( jonathanwillfill@hotmail.com ), Please get back to me .

Best Regards